HireCentrix News Updates
Albany, NY (September 12, 2012) - State Labor Commissioner Colleen C. Gardner alerted all New Yorkers on the growing number of online employment scam promising high salaries for very little work. These solicitations are appearing on social media pages like Facebook and e-mail in boxes designed to lure desperate job seekers.
The Labor Department was notified of this scam by several job seekers who use the Labor Department's Facebook page.
"In these difficult times, with so many New Yorkers desperately seeking employment, the idea of these predators targeting our vulnerable citizens is appalling," said Labor Commissioner Colleen C. Gardner. "These ‘jobs' are not endorsed by the Department of Labor. If you want real jobs, we have them for you. I encourage all unemployed New Yorkers to use our new Job Bank and visit a local One-Stop Career Center."
Some suggestions for avoided these rip-off artists:
- In your e-mails, don't open any unsolicited e-mails or any unscanned attachments, even if the attachments are from people with whom you usually communicate.
- In your Facebook pages and Twitter accounts, don't "friend" recklessly and be especially wary of any unsolicited invitations.
- And never provide personal information except to a completely trusted and secure site.
Remember the old saying - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
And finally, if you feel you've been a victim of one of the scams contact your local law enforcement agency.
Finding the candidates you need does not require frustration | Online - InteractiveWednesday, 18 September 2013 13:00
Global Energy Career Expo Aberdeen 2013 | Aberdeen, United KindgomWednesday, 12 June 2013 10:00
Hiring Our Heroes Employment Fairs - Ongoing - | NationwideTuesday, 19 February 2013 00:00
Add Your Event for Free | OnlineThursday, 13 December 2012 00:00
Did you know...
The 77 million people that make up the US small business workforce would rank as the 17th most populous country in the world, just ahead of Iran;
Recruiting / HR Jobs
We have 266 guests and no members online
* The Lounge Podcast *
Read More Articles
- Stop Waiting for a Job and Go to Work!
- My truck does more for me than HR!
- Broken Pottery, Broken Candidates
- DOL cracks down! Are your classifications FLSA-compliant?
- A Friend Indeed: Do Facebook Users Really Have Privacy Rights at Work?
- FlexJobs Survey: Why People Want Telecommuting and Flexible Work
- Employees, Candidates, Employment Background Checks and Credit Reports Know your rights