HireCentrix News Updates
If there’s one thing just about everyone in the 21st-century business world agrees on it, it’s that innovation leads to efficiency, and efficiency is good. But is it possible that new technologies that are supposed to make HR easier are actually doing more harm than good?
As Danielle Weinblatt wrote this week in a column for the Huffington Post, it’s possible to take the automation of human-resources procedures too far.
There are three technologies that Weinblatt cautions can cause problems.
1. Online resume submission: “Applicant tracking systems” allow job applicants to enter their resume information online, to help recruiters sift through large amounts of data to come up with matches. But as Weinblatt points out, this often disadvantages applicants who are seeking to break into new fields, because their resumes may not match keyword searches. They almost guarantee a cookie-cutter hire.
2. Social network graders: There are a growing number of tools used to measure an individual’s activities and influence on social media. Increasingly, HR departments are including those scores in sizing up a job applicant. But as Weinblatt puts it, “Does this mean that if you spend more time at work actually doing your job and less time on Twitter and Facebook that you are actually worse off than your peers?” (I wrote about the problem with using Klout scores in hiring decisions back in August.)
Read more: http://thegrindstone.com/career-management/hr-mistake-of-the-week-3-technologies-that-erase-the-h-in-hr-662/
Hiring Our Heroes Employment Fairs - Ongoing - | NationwideTuesday, 19 February 2013 00:00
Finding the candidates you need does not require frustration | Online - InteractiveWednesday, 18 September 2013 13:00
Add Your Event for Free | OnlineThursday, 13 December 2012 00:00
Global Energy Career Expo Aberdeen 2013 | Aberdeen, United KindgomWednesday, 12 June 2013 10:00
Did you know...
The 77 million people that make up the US small business workforce would rank as the 17th most populous country in the world, just ahead of Iran;
Recruiting / HR Jobs
We have 263 guests and no members online
* The Lounge Podcast *
Read More Articles
- Should Employers Use Arrest and Conviction Records of Job Applicants for Hiring Decisions or Do Criminal Background Checks Discriminate against Ex-Offenders?
- Using Consumer Reports: What Employers Need to Know
- The Perfect Storm Theory
- Do You Really Need a Personal Brand?
- Having an Efficient Recruiting Process in Place Makes the Difference between Attracting Star Talent or Losing Them to the Next OfferDuring Peak Hiring Season
- Employment and wages for occupations identified as new:
- Using Boolean Searching On Twitter