HireCentrix News Updates
A savvy job seeker always checks out a business before going on an interview. But what happens when that company's name is just a cover for a scam?
How the Scam Works:
An increasing amount of scammers are using the names of legitimate businesses and organizations to lure in job seekers.
In one recent example, scammers posted a help wanted ad on Craigslist.org for an opportunity at the real, Virginia-based "Association of Corporate Travel Executives." When job hunters responded to the ad, imposters sent them checks to deposit. Consumers were told keep a portion of the check as their pay and to wire the rest to a third party via Western Union. Of course, the checks never cleared, and victims were out the money.
In another variation, scammers stole the name of BBB Accredited, Ohio-based business FBN Construction LLC. Scammers sent emails to local consumers promoting a job opportunity there and encouraging applicants to fill out an online form on a fake website. The form asked for personal information, opening job seekers up to identity theft.
Tips to Avoid Falling for Fake Job Scams:
- Job postings with grammatical errors, misspellings and lots of exclamation marks are likely scams. Ads promoting jobs with generic titles, such as admin assistant or customer service rep, and containing the phrases "Teleworking OK," "Immediate Start" and "No Experience Needed" are popular in scam ads.
- If a job looks suspicious, search for it in Google. If the result comes up in many other cities with the exact same job post, it is likely a scam.
- Be very cautious of any job that asks you to share personal information or hand over money. Scammers will often use the guise of running a credit check, setting up direct deposit or paying for training.
- Check out the business' website to make sure the opening is posted there. If you are still skeptical, call the business to check on the position.
Courtesy of the BBB
Add Your Event for Free | OnlineThursday, 13 December 2012 00:00
Gateway Analytics Network : Business Planning & Analysis 2013 | InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, 3315 Peachtree Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30326Thursday, 23 May 2013 08:00
Hiring Our Heroes Employment Fairs - Ongoing - | NationwideTuesday, 19 February 2013 00:00
Global Energy Career Expo Aberdeen 2013 | Aberdeen, United KindgomWednesday, 12 June 2013 10:00
Did you know...
The 77 million people that make up the US small business workforce would rank as the 17th most populous country in the world, just ahead of Iran;
Recruiting / HR Jobs
We have 727 guests and no members online
* The Lounge Podcast *
Read More Articles
- The global marketplace changed, but did your organization?
- To guarantee an employment lawsuit, just follow these five "worst practices"
- Green card lottery could soon be eliminated
- Key Traits of Great Recruiters
- How to get a job in a stressed economy
- Advice to Job Seekers of a ‘Certain Age’
- Are We Managing Talent of Stifling It?