HireCentrix News Updates
Tips for job seekers looking for seasonal employment
AUSTIN, Texas - Nov. 8, 2011 – As retailers start gearing up for the holidays, some job hunters could get an early present this year in the form of a seasonal job. According to National Retail Federation, retail sales are expected to increase 2.8 percent this holiday season.
According to a release put out by Nation Retail Federation, retailers are expected to hire approximately 500,000 seasonal workers this year. Toys R Us announced plans to hire close to 3,000 seasonal employees in Texas as part of a nationwide plan to add 45,000 holiday employees. Other retailers plan to hire up to 30 percent more seasonal staff than last year.
“The hundreds of thousands of jobs created during the holiday season help people support their families by supplementing their household income and providing generous employee discounts,” said National Retail Federation President and CEO Matthew Shay in a release in October.
BBB recommends applying early and taking a few simple steps to increase your chance of landing a seasonal job.
· Do research ahead of time. Figure out what job suits you best and then identify companies you would like to work for. Check with bbb.org to find trustworthy companies that might be hiring seasonal staff. Many companies direct applicants to their website to apply for a job, so make sure to apply there instead of through a third party Internet site.
· Be suspicious of “too good to be true” job offers. Many consumers use online classifieds to search for local job openings. Unfortunately, scammers flock to these sites, posting job scams aimed at stealing money or the identities of job seekers. Never pay for a background check, a job application or for anything else before you are hired.
· Work where you shop. Employers want applicants that know their products well. So, if you shop at certain stores frequently, chances are you know a lot about the company and the merchandise they sell. This will make you an attractive choice because they won’t have to spend as much time and money training you.
· Be available and flexible. Holiday hiring managers are drawn to candidates who will be available and have a flexible schedule. Seasonal employees will likely find themselves working long, sometimes inconvenient hours and even holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve.
· Put your best foot forward. Job hunters need to dress their best and be prepared for the interview. This includes being familiar with the company's brand and its products. Retail job hunters in particular need to focus on impressing potential employers with their customer service skill set – which is a must when dealing with stressed-out shoppers, long check-out lines and day-after-Christmas returns.To check the reliability of a company and find trustworthy businesses, visit bbb.org.
About Better Business Bureau:
BBB's mission is to be the leader in advancing marketplace trust. BBB accomplishes this mission by creating a community of trustworthy businesses, setting standards for marketplace trust, encouraging and supporting best practices, celebrating marketplace role models and denouncing substandard marketplace behavior.
Businesses that earn BBB Accreditation contractually agree and adhere to the organization's high standards of ethical business behavior. BBB is the preeminent resource to turn to for objective, unbiased information on businesses and charities. Contact BBB serving Central, Coastal, Southwest Texas and the Permian Basin at (512) 445-4748.
Solve the Challenges of Recruiting Passive Candidates: | onlineWednesday, 05 June 2013 13:00
The Bob Marshall Group, International : “Excellence in Recruitment Training” | OnlineTuesday, 28 May 2013 00:00
Hiring Our Heroes Employment Fairs - Ongoing - | NationwideTuesday, 19 February 2013 00:00
Add Your Event for Free | OnlineThursday, 13 December 2012 00:00
Did you know...
The 77 million people that make up the US small business workforce would rank as the 17th most populous country in the world, just ahead of Iran;
Recruiting / HR Jobs
We have 337 guests and no members online
* The Lounge Podcast *
Read More Articles
- White Paper# 11: Chaos in the Workplace: Four Mindsets One Goal
- Site:Search, Part 2
- How To Pick The Right Career (Part 1)
- To Get the Right Match, Start with the Right Batch
- Truth in Endorsement and Advertising Disclosure : FTC's Revised Rules
- Should Employers Use Arrest and Conviction Records of Job Applicants for Hiring Decisions or Do Criminal Background Checks Discriminate against Ex-Offenders?
- Holding Human Resources Accountable